Saturday, August 14, 2010

Flyabout Gliding in Durango, Colorado, with Fran West

When I travel I like to pack as much into the day as possible.

In Durango, Colorado, I had one action-packed day.

I spent the day on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, then as soon as the train arrived back in Durango, I hopped (because I'm an Aussie!) into the car and rushed back to the glider field.

Then it was a real rush to get into the glider and take off behind the tow plane just as the second D&S train was passing the airfield. I was then photographing the passengers in the train photographing me in the glider.

So peaceful in the glider. Really soaring like a bird. True flying I guess but as a pilot of non gliders I prefer to have an engine up the front.

After the train and the glider I headed off to Mesa Verde National Park and arrived just before sunset.



Here's a bird's eye view of the tow plane up ahead.

The fuzzy bit sticking up on the left is a piece of wool called the yaw string.

No comments:

Post a Comment