Sunday, January 23, 2011

When is a Hat not a Hat? When it's a Bucket

When travelling, it's good to be very sun smart and wear a hat to protect the face and neck. My choice is an Akubra hat, being an Aussie. Our beautiful sunshine does have a sting to it though, so it pays to be protected, particularly in the Outback. Here's my first Akubra on Tasmania's Overland Track (it's in the DVD too).

As a photographer, there's an added bonus. I take the hat off and hold it over the camera to get rid of sun glare when taking photos - very versatile.

It's versatile in other ways too. In the Outback, sometimes stockmen fill the hat with water and let their horses drink from it.


As long as the water's not kept too long in the hat and it's given a chance to dry out, the hat will be OK. I'm so glad I remembered that fact.

Last year I took my trusty hat with me on the Torres del Paine trek in Chile, South America. It shielded me from the sun and the rain and everything was going smoothly until we had almost reached the refugio (refuge/hostel) at Grey Lake. A few of us started feeling a bit queazy and then ended up being sick in the bushes (oh, that felt better, for a while only though). We'd probably caught an airborne tummy bug.

By the time we arrived at the refugio and sorted out our upstairs rooms and bunks we started feeling sick again. The guide gave us each a big black plastic garbage bag but I never managed to use mine.

The vomiting came on so suddenly that the first thing I grabbed was my Akubra, turned it upside down and used it as a bucket. When I felt a bit better I gingerly crept down the stairs to the bathroom and tipped the contents of the hat in the toilet, thoroughly rinsed it out and dried it as best I could.

I dragged myself up the stairs and lay down on the bunk again. The guide kindly brought us some rice tea to settle the stomach but that didn't last long. Once more I made a grab for my still damp hat and used it as my felt bucket. (I don't know about you but writing about this is making me feel a bit queazy)

I did the same as before and emptied my hat in the bathroom down stairs and fortunately the vomiting stopped. The anti-gastro pills worked wonders - never leave home without them. (There's more to the tale but believe me you don't want to read about it)

So, the moral of this story is
(a) no matter how hygienic you are the bugs are still going to get you and
(b) on your bucket list make sure you have an Akubra hat which can double as a bucket!

P.S. I did wear it the rest of the trip but because the hat was wet for too long (and smelt a bit) I've had to buy another Akubra.




No comments:

Post a Comment