Saturday, January 22, 2011

Overcome Fear with Focus

During a recent trip to Arizona, in America's Southwest, I visited the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

On the trail to Bright Angel Point I came across two couples. I couldn't help but hear their conversation as I passed them and continued along the path.



Three of the people were trying to comfort the fourth person, Paul, and cajole him to keep on going to the lookout. But Paul was petrified of heights and was reluctant to move.

Minding my own business wasn't an option because I knew just how crippling fear can be. So, I went back to the group and told Paul that I was a pilot who doesn't like heights and I could understand how he felt.

However, when I fly I'm strapped in with my seat belt, I'm safe and secure in the cockpit, and I'm concentrating on flying the aircraft. All those things help dissipate the fear of heights because I'm focusing on something other than my fear.

Trekking in Nepal was at times quite nerve racking because sometimes the paths were only two feet wide (the width of two feet, not twenty-four inches) with a drop down the mountain slope on one side. Not good for a person who doesn't like heights.

The only thing to do was to keep on going and focus on the path ahead and make sure that I didn't put a foot wrong.

The trail to Bright Angel Point was nowhere near as narrow as the path in Nepal, but the drop down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon was still significant. I told Paul to focus on the path rather than focus on his fear of heights.

I then left the group and walked the rest of the way to Bright Angel Point. In a while, the four turned up at the view point with Paul looking quite pale. However, he had made it.

Later on, when I was checking out of my cabin and heading across to my car, Paul saw me and came over and thanked me. He told me that what I had said to him had actually helped.

If Paul had let his fear take control then he would have missed out on one of the world's great natural wonders.

So, two great tips for how to pilot your life (personal or business) are:

If you see that someone needs help and can benefit from your experiences and knowledge, go ahead and help.
One day it might be your turn to be on the receiving end.

Learn to overcome fear with focus.
Why let your fears stop you from enjoying some of life's wonderful experiences. Focus on something positive not the fear.

Two of my presentation topics are:

Follow your dreams (at any age)
How to pilot your life and navigate your way to success

This article is taken from my "Pilot Your Life" newsletter #2. Full colour versions of the newsletter are available by emailing me at fran@franwest.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment