Sunday, October 24, 2010

These Boots were made for Walking (in Argentina & Chile)

Before I set off on my trek in Patagonia, in southern Argentina and Chile, I had a day to spare in Buenos Aires.

I thought I'd get a bit more walking in, so I decided to go to the zoo. The day was very hot and humid and it didn't seem too far on the map. Ha!
I eventually made it to the zoo, after frequent rest and drink stops, and stayed until closing time.

By the time I returned to my hotel, I was one pooped puppy! I'd walked 36,000 steps according to the pedometer and my boot had split along the side (not good to go trekking with an unserviceable boot).

So, I managed to convey, in my broken Spanish, what I wanted and finally found a boot repairer. He did the mending straight away and my boot gratefully received a stitch in time!

As with a lot of travel in a foreign country, the right attitude, a lot of laughter and sign language, will usually get results. The boot even made it up to the Iguazu Falls.




Hiking boots

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I will go to learn spanish in Buenos Aires in January.. do you recomend the zoo to visit? I love animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The zoo's very nice, especially the boat ride, lemur island and the South American wildlife. I also liked the buildings that some of the animals had as their homes. Only 22 pesos entry too.

    ReplyDelete