Saturday, October 2, 2010

St Augustine Lighthouse, Anastasia Island, Florida

In March this year I spent a couple of days in the historic quarter of St Augustine, Florida (more posts later on this fabulous place).


On one of the days, I caught the free shuttle bus over to Anastasia Island to visit the 1874 lighthouse and museum. This would have to be one of the best cared for lighthouses I've ever seen, particularly with its distinctive black and white markings.



Even though I'm a pilot, I don't like heights, especially when I'm walking on stairs that I can see through. However, I eventually made it to the top after climbing the 219 steps.



The view was definitely worth it and I discovered that the volunteer at the top was also a pilot. He did allow me to briefly go outside but the wind was so strong that it was hard to walk and I felt like I could take off any minute. That certainly blew away the cobwebs!

You must visit this place http://www.staugustinelighthouse.com/

You can contact me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment